Thursday, January 26, 2012

One Man One Vote

"Hardly anyone who served with Newt in Congress has endorsed him and that fact speaks for itself. He was a one-man-band who rarely took advice. It was his way or the highway." - Former Kansas Senator Bob Dole

I'm a registered Republican.  I don't hide that fact.  If you were born in Kansas the odds are that you are a Republican.  I was a Goldwater Republican.  I liked the Kansas brand of Republicanism represented by Senators like Bob Dole, Jim Pearson, Nancy Landon Kassebaum and Congressmen and women like Jim Winn and Jan Meyers.  But sadly Republicans like Bob Dole couldn't get elected to be a dog catcher in Kansas anymore.  The mixing of religion and politics and the belief that government is the enemy has changed the political landscape there.

I live in Florida one of the spawning grounds of the Tea Party. Moderate Republicans like Charlie Crist get shown the door by the likes of Marco Rubio and now a Congressional carpetbagger like Connie Mack will try to unseat Florida's leading Democrat, Bill Nelson, from his U.S. Senate seat.

But I digress.  I went and voted early in Florida's Presidential primary.  The ballot was full of drop outs like Herman Cain, Michelle Bachmann and one of the few GOP I respect Jon Huntsman.  I couldn't vote for Newt.  The man is a walking disaster.  So I cast my ballot for Mitt "Hide the Money" Romney.  Actually if he wasn't bat shit crazy I'd vote for Ron Paul.  That's who I voted for in the 2008 primary.  But I can't abide by his wish to dismantle all of our social safety net programs and getting rid of the Federal Reserve.

After George W. Bush I swore I would never vote for another Republican for President but I'm leaving the door open.  President Obama has made some major mistakes.  The stimulus package was a disaster.  He allowed Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid to load it up with pork instead of infrastructure project that would have actually helped the country.  It's a long time until November.  It's going to be an interesting 10 months of campaigning.

No comments:

Post a Comment