Sunday, February 28, 2010

Oh Canada!

Wow, what a hockey game!  The good ol' USA gave it all but unfortunately came up on the short end of its gold medal match with Canada.  I'm not a huge fan of hockey on television but the game was pretty darn compelling.  The only letdowns were the opening and closing ceremonies.  Poor Canada had no chance of touching what the Chinese accomplished in 2008, but it seemed their efforts to "entertain" feel short of the tame Mormon production in Salt Lake City in 2002.

The Olympics are special.  I was lucky enough to attend the Los Angeles games in 1984.  I went to the ten days of track and field competition and came away with indelible memories of Sebastian Coe silencing his doubters, Mary Slaney's great fall, Said Aouita's mastery in the 5000 and the incomparable Carl Lewis winning four gold medals. 

The ten days I spent in Los Angeles were incredible.  The city was deserted.  I had planned on taking public transporation to and from the Coliseum but once I figured out that the streets were empty, I rented a car and had the time of my life.  It was mornings at the track, afternoons at the beaches, followed by evenings back at the Coliseum.

I didn't go to Atlanta because it didn't seem to be worth the hassle.  But I want to go to one more Olympics.  London seems doubtful and there's no way in hell I'd go to Rio.  I guess I'll have to wait until 2020!

No comments:

Post a Comment