Saturday, February 6, 2010

Diarrhea Cha-Cha-Cha, Diarrhea Cha-Cha-Cha

I hate to barge in on a theme explored earlier this week by my friend Hula Girl but for two straight days my bowels have been held hostage.  It started with explosive, and I do mean explosive diarrhea at 4 a.m. on Friday.  It became an hourly event so I reached for the good old Imodium.  By 9 a.m. I had given up on the Imodium and decided to go to work because other than a lack of sleep I felt pretty good.

When I headed home for lunch at noon I gingerly ate a peanut butter sandwich and decided to take my temperature because I was feeling a little feverish.  Sure enough it read 99.4.  By mid-afternoon I was started to really slide.  The bathroom runs had long since stopped as the Imodium was doing its job but I figured I needed to see the doctor. 

The doctor was booked so they suggested the quick clinic in the lobby.  I figured I would suffer for at least a half an hour before getting in but much to my surprise I was in and out in less than 15 minutes.  The diagnosis, an intestinal bug, the solution, stay hydrated and rest.  By early evening my temperature had skyrocketed to 101.2.  The fever finally broke about 10 p.m. after I had consumed two bottles of water and a bottle of Sprite. 

I feel pretty worn out today but the diarrhea is back.  At least I'm not running a fever.  Guess that means I get a two day break from running.  Thank goodness I can watch a Kansas game tonight!

1 comment: