Friday, November 18, 2011

Sail Away

Inspiration seems to have sailed away.  I've neglected my blogging while I've intensified my job search.  I caught a wisp of inspiration over the weekend when Randy Newman put in an appearance on Austin City Limits.  It took me back to the first time that I heard any of his music.

I was still a student at the University of Kansas and the gang of Ballpark baseball enthusiasts had gathered at Colin Gage's home which was then located just off K-10 between Lawrence and Eudora.  Colin was playing various music as we played the game and drank beer.  But he made a special point of having us listen to Newman's greatest album, "Sail Away."  On it is one of my all time favorite songs.  It is a beautiful composition, one that I can listen to over and over again.  "Louisiana 1927" is a jewel among an album full of great songs from the title track through such rollicking tunes "Rednecks" and "Kingfish."

Other than the music it's been a week of watching Kansas get manhandled by Kentucky.  It's going to be a long year for Jayhawk nation.  I've had fun watching my friend Max Ustler play baseball with his cadre of 60 plus buddies.  And I'm making progress in my efforts to learn Russian.  I always made my first run of 10 miles for the year.  It went surprisingly well.  The result may inspire to actually run a race sometime soon.  Maybe.   

No comments:

Post a Comment