Sunday, November 6, 2011

1000 miles continued

Anyway my Lauren Fleshman prediction didn't go too far afield.  I'll give her credit.  She must have suffered over the last few miles but she finished in just a shade under 2:38.  For a first time effort I'm pretty impressed.  The marathon overall was amazing.  The women's race featured a massive flame out with an relatively unknown Ethiopian Firehiwot Dado catching front running Kenyan Mary Keitany in the final 2 kilometers.  On the men's side Kenyan Geoffrey Mutai showed his earth shattering Boston win was no fluke smashing the field with 10 kilometers to go and blowing up the course record in the process.
 
More importantly on this Sunday the stench of big money that permeates college football found its way to Columbia, Missouri.  Mizzou decided to skate to the SEC.  Their departure from the Big 12 will bring an end to the oldest football rivalry west of the Mississippi.  Missouri fielded competitive teams in the Big 12 in both football and basketball.  They won't be able to compete in the SEC.  Their hoops team will continue to make it into the NCAA tournament but football will be a whole different story.  They'll be lapdogs like Kentucky and Vanderbilt.  I say good riddance.

Finally 1000 miles means a lot.  I have run at least 1000 miles every year since I was 15 years old.  That's 40 years of at least 1000 miles.  I don't know how many lifetime miles I have.  I was never very good about keeping accurate logs until I hit 30.  But my lifetime total is probably in the neighborhood of 60,000 miles.  I'm no Craig Davidson that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment