Thursday, January 13, 2011

An Open Letter to My Running Friends in the Midwest

What a rough start to the New Year.  I actually had to break out some winter running gear that I haven't used since I lived in Topeka.  One day I actually had on a jacket, sweat pants, gloves, and a headband to keep my ears warm.  My goodness it was 38... 39 degrees.  It's been rainy, drizzly, foggy, I hate to bore you with my weather woes but I thought I had moved to sunny California after all.

But fear not, I haven't missed a day of running since the calendar turned to 2011.  Even though one day it was so cold, mid-30's, that I used a treadmill.  I know, I know, I should have toughed it out, but I really didn't bring all of my cold weather running gear from Florida.  I really didn't think I would need it.

As for my friends out there still training in the great outdoors that is Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, North Dakota, etc; I feel your pain.  Or the chill that is.  Bundle up and try to stay warm on those brisk winter runs.  Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention., there are actually hills in California.  Man I miss those flat, sunny, winter runs in Southwest Florida.

1 comment:

  1. My run last Saturday was full of bitterly cold wind, which I ran INTO during most of the uphill parts. I toughed it out but did not enjoy one minute of it. It's been so cold here that I finally declared this past Wednesday a treadmill day. I don't like single digit wind chills, even if I'm layered properly. I can do it for so long and then my body says, "Dammit woman, you HAVE a treadmill!"

    ReplyDelete