Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Injured

What happened to this runner?  This 15 year old sprinting to the finish of a cross country meet in the fall of 1971 enjoyed fresh legs and a competitive spirit.  The spirit remains but the legs are shot.  Yet again my hamstrings have failed me, a problem I have lived with for the last 17 years.

My left hamstring started bothering me two weeks ago.  I nursed it along for a week or so then took time off.  Then I tried jogging over the weekend.  Sunday's 5 mile run was okay but I could tell trouble was brewing.  Monday I tried the eliptical trainer and last night the pain radiating down my left hip and leg was awful

I plan to rest for another week.  I know that it is the only way to get healthy.  Then when I start running again next Monday it will be short 2 or 3 mile jaunts for a week. 

I have to get healthy.  I have 2 months to get ready for the Lake Atwood 10 mile.  I shouldn't lose too much fitness by having 3 weeks of almost no activity which is what this will amount to.  What I have to do is get back to jogging so I can get some decent long runs in through the month of June to prepare for the race. 

It's all really annoying because there was nothing in my training that showed an injury was lurking.  It popped up out of nowhere like the last hamstring tweak in late December.  That one cost me most of the month of January.  It tells me one thing.  I just have to stick to pounding out the miles and avoid the temptation of speed work. 

1 comment: