Saturday, July 24, 2010

Turkey Time

I woke up unusually early today, 5:40 a.m.  I knew I was supposed to meet a couple of folks I had met from my Eppies experience from the week before for a long run at 7:00 a.m.  I ate some cereal and surfed the web then headed out the door to run to the spot where we were supposed to meet up.

I somehow missed them so after a short loop I proceeded down the trail hoping to catch up to Steve or meet him heading back.  Along the way I saw more wild turkeys in the course of a few miles than I'd ever seen in my life.  They were everywhere along the trail.  More plentiful than the jack rabbits that frequently hop across the trail.  Much to my surprise I caught up to Steve at about five miles.  We spent the next eight miles talking and getting to know each other.  It was so much more enjoyable than going it alone plus the weather was picture perfect.

When all was said and done I had 15 miles under my belt and despite a sore hip by the end I was extremely pleased.  Another eight runs like this with a few edging toward 20 miles and I will be on my way.

One other comforting sight that I saw on the biking trails were packs of mostly overweight women who resembled the flock of turkeys above.  The rolling mass of humanity swallowed up the trail, much to the consternation of the bikers who usually dominate it.  I saw at least three such packs of joggers slowly moving along.  I suspect they are probably getting ready for the California International Marathon coming much later in the fall.  Six hour marathon here they come.

No comments:

Post a Comment