Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Butler

The Czarina and I took in "The Butler" Sunday afternoon.  I had heard good things, it's well worth the price of admission.  As I watched the story unfold it only drove home just how far we have to go as a nation when it comes to race.

As I posted recently, I deal with subtle and not so subtle forms of racism on a near daily basis.  Most of it comes in the form of emails, from ill-informed people, who don't understand why African Americans have such a big chip on their shoulders.  Many of these people believe that the media deliberately under reports stories that involve Black on White crime.  The killing of the World Two vet and the ballplayer from Australia are their latest launching pad.

But I even get emails about a murder case that happened more than six years ago in which three black men killed a young white couple.  The idiots who send it in that it's a story that just happened.  I would like to know the bigots who are behind the cottage industry responsible for disseminating this garbage. 

I wish there was a way to force these morons that send their race baiting garbage into the station to watch "The Butler."  I think they would need to see it a half dozen times or more before they'd begin to realize that we're not that far removed from a time when Whites could beat and kill Blacks with impunity.  By the way it's a great movie with a really interesting cast.  I even liked Oprah.  Forrest Whitaker has come a long way since "Fast Times at Ridgemont High."

No comments:

Post a Comment