Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Back in the Saddle Again

As of this week I am semi-employed.  I've been contracted to work part-time at my old job, the one I was laid off from at the end of July.  Since then I have sent out a steady stream of job applications.  During the first five months of my employment hiatus I had all of three job interviews, all with television stations, all within the first six weeks of my joblessness.

Suddenly at the end of December and the beginning of January all hell broke loose on the job front.  I won't go into details to protect the innocent, since many of the possibilities are still hanging fire.  I've had three more interviews and a couple of inquiries as to my interest in two other situations.  I also took and passed both the enumerator and the supervisor tests to join the U.S. Census effort. 

Then a couple of weeks ago I was asked to come back to the I-75 expansion project as it winds down.  The current PIO is leaving for another job and they need someone to answer any public or media queries and handle any lane or ramp closing advisories.  So on Monday I returned to my old job donning my iROX shirt.  It's only 24 hours a week but it at least gets me out of the house.  The gig should last a couple of months at least.

I expect to sit down with the Census folks in the next week or so as well.  If I'm lucky I should be able to do both jobs.  As for those other gigs that are hanging in the fire, we'll see.  Once the smoke clears I will go into detail because some of it has been fairly interesting, even salty!

1 comment: