Sunday, August 26, 2012

Running with Isaac

What an amazing week of weather in Southwest Florida.  Three days ago we were staring down the barrel of Tropical Storm Isaac.  Now the storm appears headed to some unfortunate section of the Gulf Coast.  As I write we're enjoying breezy conditions and light rain.  It's supposed to get worse as the day wears on but I doubt we're going to get much of anything.

I always enjoy tropical storms as it brings relief to the usually dead calm and massive humidity that grips Southwest Florida in the summer.  But Wednesday and Thursday night served up two of the best evenings in terms of running weather I can ever remember at this time of the year.  It felt more like mid-spring with just a hint of humidity and a nice, fresh breeze, that made running a joy.  I actually felt a lightness in my legs for the first time since my efforts to begin training since my injury problems started back in May.

By Friday the humidity began to return with a vengeance and Saturday's run was downright miserable as I plodded out 6 miles in miserable conditions.  But Sunday dawned with Isaac providing a nice breath to my surroundings as I headed out the door for a 40 minute run.  Somehow I managed to avoid the rain but it was tropical storm running at its best.  The breezy conditions kept me on my toes as I watched up for falling palm frowns and other debris.  I actually trotted along at sub-10 minute pace.  It seems my legs and stamina are beginning to return.

I spent my post run time putting away things that could fly away in the wind and settled down to wait.  I've got to head into work at 2 a.m. for a 12 hour shift.  I suspect I'm going to be bored out of my skull and I'm hoping my boss will call off the dogs in the next 4 hours or so.  This is going to be a non-event.  At worst we'll see some coastal flooding and a few power outages.  Heck, I haven't even dropped my hurricane shutters!

No comments:

Post a Comment